Diet & nutrition made easy with registered dietitians
Good nutrition is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. When you choose nourishing foods energetic activity, you can reach and maintain a healthy weight. This will improve our overall health. It can also reduce your risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
Your food choices each day affect your health and how you feel today, tomorrow and in the future. You don’t have to navigate this journey alone. NMC Health Medical Center has registered dietitians that can help you make healthy choices when it comes to lifestyle changes, nutrition and exercise.
If you have a medical emergency, call 911 or visit the NMC Health Medical Center Emergency Department.
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
Medical nutrition therapy (MNT) or nutrition education is used to treat illnesses or medical conditions. The role of this therapy is to delay disease and prevent complications. It is not about dieting. Instead, it is about taking care of your health needs through a personalized approach to food and eating habits.
MNT is provided by registered dietitians (RDs) who are specifically trained in nutrition. They’ll be able to help you make wise choices in your diet and avoid foods that could enhance your symptoms or worsen your condition.
Nutritional therapy with a registered dietitian works for patients with:
- This includes hypertension, high cholesterol or triglycerides and congestive heart failure
- Diet plan may include low-sodium and low-fat meal plans
- This includes pre-diabetes, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and hypoglycemia
- By taking a look at the food you eat, medicine you take and results from your lab work, your dietitians can help you develop a plan to control your blood sugar
Kidney Disease (Non-Dialysis)
- Our dietitians are trained in dietary approaches to help delay dialysis as long as possible
Food Allergies & Celiac Disease
- Learn how to identify your allergens and what components you need to avoid in your diet to combat sensitivity to gluten
- This includes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis (UC) and other intestinal disorders
- Diet plan may include fiber, lactose, fat, prebiotics and probiotics
- This includes gaining weight or losing weight
- Our registered dietitians can help you develop a lifestyle that may include diet, physical activity or exercise and behavioral therapy
Often, the American diet is unhealthy. People are confused about nutrition and the real facts about food. A dietitian who understand health conditions and clinical indicators can help you choose foods that improve your health while encouraging you to stay away from the ones that don’t.
MNT includes a review of your health and eating habits. With the help of a registered dietitian, you will set wellness goals for your health and develop a personalized nutrition plan that is right for you.
About NMC Health Registered Dietitians
Whatever your motivation – increasing energy, preventing disease or complications or eating better – the dietitians at NMC Health can help you. Our staff has more than 40 years of experience in various specialties including:
- Diabetes education
- Employee health
- Weight management
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Geriatric nutrition
Insurance and Referrals
In order to receive nutrition education at NMC Health, you will need a referral from your doctor. Referrals will also likely be needed for your insurance plan. Many private companies have policies which include visits to dietitians, so please check with your insurance company to confirm your coverage.
Our Patient Financial Services department can also help you find out if you are covered for the type of service you need. If the service you need is not covered, they can help you set up payment arrangements.
Medicare Part B Benefits
If you are covered by Medicare, here is some important information for you to know:
- Covers medical nutrition therapy for patients with diabetes and non-dialysis renal disease
- Reimburses three hours of nutrition education for the first year after diagnosis and two hours each year thereafter
- NMC Health dietitians are registered Medicare providers
More about healthy lifestyles
Switch up your evening routine with a low carb veggie fried rice bowl made special in your home kitchen! This delicious meal is jam-packed with heart-healthy foods. You can even