NEWTON, Kan., (October 27, 2015) – More than 29 million Americans have diabetes, and it is estimated that one in every four people with diabetes does not even know they have the disease. If left undiagnosed or untreated, diabetes can lead to serious health problems, including heart attack and stroke.
Newton Medical Center and the National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) want the public to know that diabetes education is needed throughout a person’s lifetime, not just at diagnosis. Having a network of support can also help a person with diabetes better cope with the day-to-day demands of living with diabetes.
During the month of November, National Diabetes Month, NMC has events planned to help support caregivers and those with diabetes:
Diabetes Support Group
7 to 8 p.m.
NMC Sunflower Café
- Specialists from the Newton Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Center will discuss diabetic wound and foot care, as well as hyperbaric oxygen therapy. No cost to attend.
Dinner with the Doctor
5:15 p.m. dinner, 6 p.m. presentation
NMC Sunflower Café
- Endocrinologist Dr. Jan Hoffman will discuss diabetes teamwork. Reservations for dinner required; $5 per person. RSVP by Nov. 10: (316) 804-6147.
Lunch & Learn
Noon to 1 p.m.
Harvey County Health Department, 2nd floor
- Bring your lunch and join us as Certified Diabetes Educator Michelle McAhren, BSN, RN, discusses the myths and facts about diabetes. No cost to attend.
During the month of November, NMC is also issuing a wellness challenge. For 30 days, the hospital is encouraging the public to participate in any or all of the healthy challenges:
- Lighten Your Liquid: Eliminate soda (including diet) and other sugary drinks such as fruit juice, energy drinks, lemonade, etc.
- Snack Exchange: Exchange one high calorie, low nutrition snack a day for a piece of fruit or handful of nuts.
- Up Your Exercise: Complete 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week. This can be as simple as brisk walking!
Then, participants can share their healthy choices on NMC’s Facebook or Twitter page using the hashtag #NMCWellnessChallenge, or, email firstname.lastname@example.org. At the end of the challenge, one lucky participant will be selected at random to win a Fitbit, courtesy of Bethel College School of Nursing.
For complete challenge details or additional resources, visit www.newtonmed.com/NDM.